Friday, January 6, 2012

Apartment Status

I thought I would start off the new year with updating the status of the apartment and cottage and listing the jobs left to be done.

Starting with the apartment before & after...

Before- (These pictures include the last tenants belongings- yikes!)







After- (These pictures are as of January 2012.)













I am thinking that the apartment is done! It is a rental so the only changes that need to be done (e.g. new kitchen floor) are large jobs that tenants don't do.

Although the furniture in the apartment is not what I would choosen if I had all the money in the world, but for hand-me-downs I think it looks pretty good. Some of changes we made to the apartment include:

- replaced/repaired almost all of the permanent light fixtures in the apartment
- removed all the old caulking in the bathroom and re-caulked
- re-grouted the bathroom tile floor
- added a long floor runner to the kitchen to disguise the broken tiles
- added larger (and more functional) furniture to the living/dining rooms (including a 3-seater sofa and dining set) to make entertaining possible
- added a small seating area to the kitchen where I can sit while Stuart cooks
- reversed the door on the kitchen fridge- you would not believe what a big difference that makes to the functionality of the kitchen

All-in-all it is actually a very cute (and more importantly functional) apartment now!