What's I used:
1 piece rough cut barn-board (cut to 6" length)
8 flanges (galvanized steel)
8 x 3" pieces of pipe (galvanized steel with threaded ends)
4 x 1" pieces of pipe (galvanized steel with threaded ends)
4 corner tees (galvanized steel with female fittings)
1 4' piece of pipe (galvanized steel with threaded ends)
1 can matte black spray paint (galvanized steel with threaded ends)
So here's how it all goes together...
Screw together all the threaded ends in the below configuration. Make sure that all the joints are fashioned securely together and laying flat on the floor.
Wipe down the metal with soap and water to remove any residue on the pipes. Once the pipes are dry, spray paint the bench base in a well ventilated area. I used matte black paint to give it a rod iron look.
Next, secure the barn-board to the bench base via the upper flanges attached to the bench base.
Stain the barn-board bench surface any colour you like. I choose a dark walnut stain.
Sand down the surface of the bench if it is rough. I liked the colour of the wood after only one coat of stain so I left it at this point. Lastly, add a coat of polyurethane/urethane to protect the bench top. That's all... Ssssoooo happy with the results!
Total cost= $70